Two families in Scotland have been told their loved ones are among those believed to have been killed or are still missing in the Algerian hostage crisis.
The four-day stand-off in the Sahara desert came to a violent and bloody end when Algerian special forces mounted a "final assault" on the last Islamist militants holding out at the remote BP gas plant at In Amenas.
Five British nationals and a UK resident are thought to be either dead or are unaccounted for.
On Saturday night, Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond said he was concerned that Scottish citizens, or individuals with strong Scottish connections, are among the possible fatalities.
"As the crisis comes to an end, we now face the difficult news that there are Scots or individuals with strong Scottish connections among those who are believed to have been killed or remain unaccounted for," he said. "This evening two families have been informed of the position."
He added: "We will provide details as soon as we are satisfied that the information is full and final. The Scottish authorities continue to offer every support to all caught up in this crisis, and we remain in close contact with the UK government. We extend our condolences to all those, of all nationalities, who have lost loved ones and colleagues in this terrorist outrage."
Iain Strachan, 38, from Howwood, Renfrewshire, was among 100 foreign workers freed from terrorists who attacked the BP plant on Thursday. He is one of eight Scottish people to have escaped. Speaking on Algerian television, Mr Strachan said he was "very relieved to be out". "Obviously we still don't really know what's happening back on site," he said. "So, as much as we're glad to be out, our thoughts are with colleagues who are still there at the moment."
Another hostage, Mark Grant, 29, from Grangemouth, reportedly texted his wife to let her know he was safe. Alan Wright, 37, of Portsoy, Aberdeenshire, and Kenneth Whiteside, originally from Glenrothes, Fife, but now based in Johannesburg, South Africa, were also reportedly held in the attack.
Mr Salmond said: "While eight families can thankfully welcome home their loved ones, our thoughts must be with the families of those who may have been lost in Algeria."
The Algerian interior ministry reported that, in all, 23 hostages and all 32 terrorists had died, while 107 foreign workers and 685 local employees had been released.