Aug 26 2011 by Stuart Wilson, Ayrshire Post (main ed)
A MIRACLE dog escaped death – after he swallowed a huge fish hook.
Thirteen-year-old labrador, Hamish, came within millimetres of having his gut torn apart.
But the beloved pet was nursed back to life by vets, who reached him with just minutes to spare.
Now his furious owners have slammed the litter louts who almost took his life.
John Donaldson was walking Hamish along the beach at Dunure when disaster struck.
He said: “People fish there all the time and of course that’s a perfectly acceptable thing to do.
“But they shouldn’t be leaving their fish hooks behind as it’s incredibly dangerous.
“Hamish bounded over and was chewing away on it because he didn’t know the difference.
“All of a sudden it was down his throat and into his stomach. It must have been three foot in length.
“Luckily it went into his stomach and not his gut, or else it would have been ripped apart.
“It’s a popular wee stretch of beach down there and people just seem to think they can treat it as they like. It’s totally wrong.”
Wife Ruby admits they’ve been to hell and back watching their pet pooch struggle back to health.
She said: “We were so lucky to get the vet treatment that we did, or else I’m not sure he would have made it.
“Robertson and Orr in Maybole have given him nothing but the best and there’s been some times he’s had to go twice a day.
“We’ve spent hundreds on vet bills since it happened but it’s just what you do for your pet. It doesn’t stop us being angry, though.
“I can’t believe how irresponsible some people can be, that they can leave such dangerous rubbish lying around on a beach.
“This time it was our dog but it could quite easily be a young family the next time and I dread to think what would happen if a child picked up one of these things.”